Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Twenty One Years Ago...

I went to a baptism on Saturday afternoon and as I was sitting there and loving every minute of it, I thought to myself, "Hey, I was baptized in September." I continued to thoroughly enjoy the messages and the spirit that filled the room and could not help but smile the entire time. I then thought I should go home and see what day in September I was baptized.

I was baptized on 9 September 1989. I cherish a few memories about that day...
1. Now I go to baptisms and realize how rare it is for a room to be FILLED to capacity with standing room only in the back. I also know how rare it is for teenage friends along with their paretns and siblings to come. I was so blessed to have so many friends there to love me and show their support.

2. I remember a handful of my friends' little brothers and sisters singing We Will Bring the World His Truth. At the moment during my baptism, I remember being filled with such excitement and knowing deep in my heart that it was my friends who were truly sharing the gospel with me. I did not know then, but I realize now how incredibly blessed I am to have those phenomenal friends! (Incidentally, I picked We Will Bring the World His Truth as the song we were to sing this year in primary and I still get emotional each time we practice it.)

3. Heidi Parry's dad said in his remarks that he could not believe that I was finally getting baptized. (Sarah's dad may have said similar comments.) I thought that was a funny thing to say at the time, but now I realize it is highly unusual for someone to come to church sponsered activities off and on for six years. I am just grateful I had friends who kept inviting me.

4. I ruined Katy's silk blouse (or was it a dress?). After I got baptized, I hugged Katy in the dressing room dripping wet. She said nothing, but simply laughed. I bet she wishes she had brought a change of clothes that day too.

5. And for Katy's benefit...I do not remember what I wore. Do you? I wonder if anyone out there took a picture. Perhaps this post will yield an answer to my question.

Well Spencer, thanks for inviting me to your baptism. I hope that all of my Septembers are filled with more just like yours. I thank all those treasured friends who were instrumental in my conversion. And 21 years later, I can't imagine my life without my Savior!

2 comments:

jenorme said...

What a beautiful post, Kim. Thanks for sharing. I hope you find some pics so you can post them.

Katy said...

The other day in primary we started singing that song and I couldn't keep singing because I got so emotional for the very same reason!!

Now the tables are turned and you are a wonderful example to me!

Does water ruin silk?