Baseball- America's Pastime. Now it appears to be the Bishop's pastime as well. We have had practices three nights a week and on Saturdays too. And since our kids are too young to take themselves, it is a family affair.
Aiden is playing catcher for his team. I know NOTHING about baseball. The boys ask me to pitch for them, and they nearly walk everytime. I am not exaggerating. Aiden is so excited when he can actually hit one that I pitch to him, that he cheers me on. That's LOVE. I watch the other parents who throw balls to their sons and think, huh? How is it that I have ZERO athletic ability? I am green with envy.
Gage appears to be a natural. His coach has asked me a couple of times if this is his first time playing. I say, "Yes. He has never picked up a mitt before two weeks ago." I try to play catch with him and he totally can catch my balls- now that's good. He is really enjoying it, and he has blisters to prove it. (These actually came from the monkey bars at school more than the baseball playing; however, the baseball playing does contribute to them as well.) Gage's blood runs red, white, and blue.
Even Grey is getting in on the fun. He tries to pitch to Aiden as well, but his aim is like dead on hitting the batter. This can be problematic, so Aiden has opted to take me over Grey. Grey just needs to get a new target to look at, and I think he may have a better go of it. Also I need him to lift some weights because his arm strength is so weak that he has a hard time handling the bat. But again, I know nothing about the game so maybe the bat that we have for him is actually too heavy. In any event, we will continue to practice, and hopefully no one will get purple from balls or bats hitting them.
Jace loves to wear the glove and his baseball cap. He stands around in the outfield and spins around thinking about actually catching the ball. If it comes out there (if mom actually pitches an OK ball), he is Johnny on the ball. Too cute. He can only throw a few feet, so most of the time, while in my flip flops, I am running after the baseballs. Jace loves it, though, and he is soooooo yellow!
Cooper wears a pink glove. I am not kidding. Grandma bought a pink glove for Brooke at a garage sale, and Cooper says it is his. We do not argue. Brooke could care less. Cooper's Uncle Derek teases him. He secretly wishes he could have a pink glove too.
Brooke chases balls. I do not want to say that she is a dog, but truly her behavior is dog like. If I miss a ball when we are playing catch, or if the boys actually hit a ball, she literally runs it down. She is quite the ball retriever. Golden and all!
Well our baseball fun is full of color! I am no longer blue about signing the boys up for baseball. I am delighted that I finally did it. Not sure if I can keep up with this practice schedule, but I have plenty of help from other players on the team. For this I say THANK YOU! Hopefully I will post actual pictures from Saturday's games- covered in brown and green from the field and the diamond. It is likely since Mitch will be there. He is definitely the photographer in the group. Until then we can all dream in color about the succcesses of the BISHOP BASEBALL!
No comments:
Post a Comment