Friday, December 05, 2008

Santa Claus


The 2008 Santa Ordeal

Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Jolly Old Saint Nick...

As one reads this list of names, most people typically think of a jolly man who spreads love and selfless giving to boys and girls throughout the world. If you are between the ages of 1 and 3, however, this man undoubtedly fills one's eyes with tears and an anxiety attack literally bubbles to the surface as one's parents stand from afar and repeatedly say, "It's OK. It's Santa."

Along with these phrases that are intended to bring comfort, parents make a reference to something on Santa's person or talk about how he will bring you presents to your house in the middle of the night while you sleep. Like that's supposed to work! When is a large, strange man in a red suit and unnatural beard ever going to bring comfort to a small child? And sneaking into your house to bring you "presents"-- sounds criminal for sure. We tell our children repeatedly to not talk to strangers or accept gifts from people we do not know, and here we are again, contradicting ourselves.

I bring this commentary up because we just had Santa pictures done again at Mitch's work. This year, we had two in tears. At first, Jace was fine and sidled up next to Santa, but as I sat Cooper on Santa's lap, Cooper instantly broke out into a chorus of tears; I laughed. This sparked insecurity in Jace as well; the tears began to fall silently as he sat there with a frown firmly frozen on his cute little face. And, furthermore, Grey (who incidentally is in Kindergarten) spoke with some hesitation prior to arriving at Mitch's work. Even in the parking lot he informed me that he was not sure if he wanted to talk to him and knew for sure he would not sit on his lap.

As the photographer was taking the picture, she said to me, you may sit with the boys if you would like. Oh, I laughed literally and said, "No way. This is funny." She looked back at me and her expression said, "You thoughtless, uncaring mother. How could you laugh at your children's discomfort." That lady either has no children or just a few--certainly not 5 with one on the way. Over the years Mitch and I reflected on how all of the children cried when they saw Santa. I thought too that the "Santas" must hate being Santa for that very reason.

To all I say- Happy getting pictures with Santa!


Mitch (Santa), Kim and Aiden - we had to keep the bink in and not let Aiden see Mitch to keep him from crying


Bishop Boys 2006


Christmastyme 2005


2004


2002 - Asher Belanger with Aiden


2001 - This is not a Santa photo, but it is Aiden dressed as a baby girl for a Christmas program. He loved the hair bow.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

I love all the past pictures. Your boys are so cute and your husband is such a sport about dressing in costumes! My favorite is Aiden dressed as a girl. That will be a great one to use on him when he's a little older!

Katie said...

Great shots! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a sort of sick pleasure out of watching my kids cry on Santa's lap. It's just so entertaining watching their faces turn from wonder to fear in a split second. A guilty pleasure of parenthood for sure!

heddomarie said...

Oh poor guys hehe. I haven't experienced this yet. I'm sure it will probably happen this year, I think last year Kenny was just too young. Aiden dressed up as a girl? poor guy.. he sure does look cute though! :)

Rohan Shearer said...

Love the pictures. I don't know why but our kids never cried for Santa. Maybe its because they compared the bellies and he reminded them of me? Who knows.

Krista said...

Gosh, I have some cute nephews! Even if some of them have sad faces.