Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Phonemic Awareness at 18 mos.-Amazing!

Brooke making the "O" sound with hand motions

Um, ya. I have been teaching phonemic awareness for about 15 years, and although I knew it was extremely important, I never witnessed first hand with my kids soooo young, that they are able to actually do what we are asking them to do. I have been using Robert Barrata-Lorton's dekodiphucan (not sure how to spell it anymore)for nearly all 15 of these years. I have thrown in a little Jim Stone and various other programs as well, but the principles of sound blending, isolating, etc. came from Barrata-Lorton's research. OK so enough teacher mumbo jumbo...

I taught preschool about a month ago and Brooke sat in during our circle time. I thought she was simply watching the kids but not processing anything that was taking place. The class then reviewed the sounds a few times over the course of the next few sessions, but literally no drill and kill at all. I have not touched the cards in four weeks!

We were reading scriptures a few nights ago and the kids wanted me to have Brooke repeat the words too like Cooper does. I humored them and had her repeat word by word. As she was saying the words, she literally began to do the motions that I superimposed on the sounds. There was NO visual cue at all nor any prodding from me. When I had her repeat the word no, she literally started turning her index finger in effort to mimic the sound "n" (like the propeller of a plane)and then proceeded to raise her hands next to her face and say "o." I about fell off the couch.

I then just did the motions with again NO visual and NO auditory. She then replicated 8 sounds with no help from us. I taught the kids 14. The boys and I were flabbergasted! I have never witnessed an 18 month old with virtually only casual exposure attach meaning and purpose to the sounds! I can't wait for next week when we learn sound blending. I am making her take a turn as well! Simply AMAZING!


Brooke making the "E" sound with hand motions

3 comments:

Karla said...

It is amazing what these littles one pick up when we think they're not paying attention. My little guy (age 2) now knows all the letters of the alphabet and they don't even have to be in order. Your little girl is so adorable.

Kim said...

Thanks, we will keep her. And yes, they are sponges. I wonder what bad things they pick up from us. It truly humbles me when I think about how my seemingly insignificant life and demeanor makes such a long-lasting mark on the lives of my little ones.

Katy said...

That is so funny. I have no idea what you are talking about! But it sounds great!!